Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Merry Christmas

Sometimes, contemplating the history of the world, all the awful things we humans do to each other and in such magnitude, the horror of the evils us humans can and do accomplish - the atrocities we've done at our own hands or allowed to add up staggeringly by turning our backs - the evils astound me. In the wake of the recent tragedy, I find myself asking the same questions. How? Why?

But just as I know I'll never find an answer that allows me to fully comprehend God's reasons for allowing the recent tragedy, at least not on this side of heaven, I know that God holds us all in His hands. And that is why, perhaps not with a whole heart, but with the firmest of foundations within its chambers, I can wish you a Merry Christmas.

I know it's not a Christmas hymn, but here are some words from one of my husband's favorite hymns that resound with me now. They're from "This is My Father's World" and in the third verse.

"This is my Father's world, O let me ne'er forget
That though the wrong seems oft so strong, God is the Ruler yet.
This is my Father's world: The battle is not done;
Jesus who died shall be satisfied, And earth and heav'n be one."

The battle is not done, but the battle is the Lord's. And one day, God's kingdom will fully come.

Merry Christmas.

3 comments:

  1. A lovely post that puts things into true perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful words. "...perhaps not with a whole heart, but with the firmest of foundations within its chambers, I can wish you a Merry Christmas."

    No one could write that better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful words, Tamara.

    I don't really think of it as God allowing bad things to happen. God gave us free will and it's the individuals who perpetrate the atrocities that have us grieving and I'm sure our Heavenly Father as well. But as you said, "The battle is not done, but the battle is the Lord's. And one day, God's kingdom will fully come."

    Merry Christmas to you and your family. {{{hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete