Sunday, September 23, 2012

Writers Police Academy 2012

Last weekend, I enjoyed attending my second Writers Police Academy at Guilford Technical Community College in NC. It was all fun until someone lost a finger (see photo below). 

Actually, it was fun after that someone lost a finger, since that someone was a fake cadaver buried in a shallow grave in the woods.

Finger off cadaver in Shallow Grave workshop.

The academy was so full of workshops, I couldn't attend them all. But at every class and with every presentation, I learned new information and terminology, like when the ATF agent said the bullet fairy visited him. (His gun wasn't loaded.)


I got to lift my own fingerprints off a variety of mediums in the fingerprinting workshop. Fun and crafty!

Special speakers included Lee Child and Marcia Clark. (See photo below.) While I enjoyed their presentations, my favorite was given by a forensic scientist.

Does this photo really need a caption? Lee Child and Marcia Clark by the fake cadaver in the shallow grave.
My favorite workshop was the Underwater Evidence Recovery where divers explained how they search for and recover evidence and bodies from underwater. I even got to hold the rope as a diver in a pool searched for a fake gun.

A diver searches for "evidence" (a.k.a. a fake gun, which I circled in red), and the rope (red arrow) is held and extended to control where he searches.
I got to experience all kinds of great demos. See the photos below - and they're not the half of it!

Sniper.


Chase scenario: Give up, bad guys!
The bad guys pull over, and the driver steps out in this mock arrest scenario. The police have him back up. They cuff him and load him in a car. But there's still a passenger in the vehicle.
K-9 Unit, ready if needed.
The "bad guy" gets out of the silver vehicle and shoots at the police. Nice pants, wrong attitude!



In the scenario, the "bad guy" is shot.

Police approach with care after the "bad guy" is shot in the scenario.
The workshops were fun, the GTCC staff and visiting officers were amazing, and the academy was outstanding in so many different ways.

7 comments:

  1. Awesome! I am so jealous. I really wanted to go to that. I'm going to do my best to make it next year. I'm glad you had such a great time and learned so much. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a fun weekend, Rhonda! Fun in so many ways!

      Delete
  2. Wow. I've never heard such a thing around here. I know several crime writer who would love this. So glad you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Janice! The academy even attracts non-crime writers! It's a blast!

      Delete
  3. Hi Tamara. It was wonderful seeing you again this year. To hear that you guys had a fantastic time is what makes all the hard work so worthwhile. We thank you for your support!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for organizing the event, Lee! I can't imagine the time and detail-attention you'd have to put into it. A few of my writing friends saw the post and want to go next year. We can't wait!

      Delete
  4. Law enforcement officers should face extensive training so that he/she is capable in handling police operations and other tactical combat that they will be facing when they will be deployed in the field. police interview

    ReplyDelete