Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Popsicles with punch


Who would think to pair mangos and chilies, and freeze them on a stick? Or create a mojito popsicle and offer it alongside one with a strawberries and cream flavor? Locopops, that’s who. This weekend, thanks to my very hip sister-in-law, I discovered the coolest (get it?) popsicle store in town, just in time for the summer heat!

With such a variety of creative flavors to choose from, I ended up selecting Mexican Chocolate, which is spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg and clove… and made my tongue do the tango. My three-year-old selected the conservative Cookies and Cream flavor while my six-year-old decided to go fruity and devoured the Strawberry Grape popsicle.

In addition to regular and featured flavors, the Locopops website has a way for folks to suggest flavors, and that got me thinking. What would I suggest? Watermelon and cilantro? Pineapple punch? Peanut butter chocolate?

While Locopops only has three locations in the Triangle area, I’m hoping it’ll grow. I love the store’s philosophy. They use locally produced cream and herbs, fresh fruit – only the best ingredients, according to their website and my taste buds. Seriously, I could taste the difference! They don’t use artificial colors or corn syrup, either.

So what flavor of popsicle would you create to sample? Or would you stick with a traditionally flavored favorite?

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That sounds cool! Those are some interesting pairings. I've never heard of locopops before and am off to look them up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Rhonda! As far as I can tell, they're just in NC. http://locopops.org/ If you ever get the chance to come to Raleigh, I'll treat you. (Boucheron is coming in 2015!)

    ReplyDelete