Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The places writing has shown me


Throughout the years I've spent working at various writing jobs, I’ve been privileged to write stories on a variety of subjects. (And be paid for it!) That’s one of the best things about being a writer – you get to invade someone else’s life and see what they see, experience what they experience, and sometimes those experiences are vastly different from your own. Life fascinates me. So many different facets of life and fields of study interest me. It’s been a privilege to explore so many different subjects. Here are some of the coolest places my (non-fiction) writing has shown me:

Into history
-Inside a private house/mansion that was commandeered by Union soldiers during the Civil War. The house has a secret staircase behind a bookshelf that leads to the uppermost story, and a breezeway opens from the third-story roof to the bottom floors – early air conditioning! I was writing a story on the mansion’s renovations, but now, about a year later, the house still is not open to the public.
-Into an art museum basement where a amazing paintings were being restored.
-Into the inner sanctum of a Masonic lodge where meetings are held.

Into nature
-Through marsh mud in waders and on deep sea fishing boats gathering research.
-Walking about a mile, off-trail, in the forested mountains for a story and photographs on nesting peregrine falcons.
-Through parks before they’re built.

Other places
-Onto a track where Olympians ran for a story on a local runner.
-Into a sewer, above a wastewater treatment plant, and inside a water tank.
-In the passenger seat of a police car for a ride-along with an officer who pulled a woman who was going seven over. The town was having a crackdown on speeders! Yikes! 

I love writing. But what would exist for me to write about if interesting people didn't fill interesting places?

No comments:

Post a Comment