Monday, January 2, 2012

Happy New Year! I hope 2012 brings you lots of happiness and success, as well as a boatload of good reads!

As I look back at 2011 and forward into 2012, for better or worse, I think a lot about my own writing progress. After the publication of Storm Surge last spring, I've been working hard on the cozy mystery's sequel, as well as on another mystery series. My plan is to see both of those novels come to fruition in 2012 with the publication of the Storm Surge sequel in mid-2012 and the publication of the first book in my new mystery series in late 2012.

Just as I thought 2011 was wrapped up, the WG2E published an anthology of short stories, including one of mine, introducing me to the world of indie publishing. Reading the posts at The Writer's Guide to E-Publishing is one thing, as I've gained knowledge and ideas, encouragement and tips. But being part of their anthology, being included - wow! More anthologies by WG2E will be released in the coming months, and I wish all my fellow writers much success. (For a link for more information about or to purchase the Winter Wonderland anthology, click here.)

Writing the short story for the anthology was more than fun - it was eye-opening. I learned a ton about the characters in my new mystery series. And writing the story helped me realize I might enjoy writing more short stories. I've never felt I mastered the art of the short story... definitively not while I was in grad school years ago, which was the last time I attempted to write one before the WG2E opportunity. So now, whether I've matured or just loosened up some, I'm finding I actually enjoyed the writing process and the result much more than I once did. This year, I plan on writing and publishing three additional short stories.

So two novels and three short stories: that's not too much for a writing goal for 2012, right? (I'm chuckling manically.) That's my plan, and now the rubber's got to meet the road. So I'd better sign off and begin writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment