Thursday, December 15, 2011

Branding passed down through generations


At a recent MOPS (mothers of preschoolers) meeting, an interesting topic came up: how mothers often parent as their own mothers/parents did…. Not just in parenting styles but in brand choices also. 

This question was raised: Are there any brands of items your mother used that you persist in using, also? Even if another brand might be better or cheaper?

Yes, I realized, much to my amazement! I insist on buying Bounty paper towels and Cascade dishwashing powder and Tide powder for laundry! (Gel caps and liquid detergent - do they work? I wouldn't know! Why haven't I ever tried them?) And of course for holiday family recipes, I find myself looking for the exact labels my mother used, trying to recreate the precise taste of the dishes she made, which I so love (but this practice is hopeless for me as my cooking falls to pieces). 

I also find I stockpile toilet paper like my mother, and save other items, such as wrapping tissue and plastic bags! And of course, in the more traditional sense, I also find myself parenting like my mother, or trying to, as I very much respect her as a mom… but how ironic that in addition to her behaviors, I’ve also picked up her choice in brands!

You know what they say: if it works...

No comments:

Post a Comment