Monday, November 21, 2011

Fiction writing things I’m thankful for


1. Strunk and White’s Elements of Style, which tells me not to use “things” or end a phrase with a preposition (like the heading of this blog entry)!
2. My publisher, Peak City Publishing, and my editor, Kerry Holjes, who rocks and is unafraid of telling the truth about em dashes, colons, commas, and so much more.
3. WG2E, and their inclusion of me in their Winter Wonderland anthology. WG2E is a group of indie writers, with a great blog that’s updated all the time with informative posts about being an indie writer. The Winter Wonderland anthology will be my first baby step in indie publishing! Thanks for giving me a chance and offering this incredible opportunity, gals!
4. All the stores that are selling my book, including: All Booked Up, NoFo at the Pig, Quail Ridge Books and Pelican Bookstore at Sunset Beach.
5. My library and the librarians who make my library such an amazing place. Wake County Public Libraries rock! Thanks, Sue!
6. Presents: this year, I’m hoping to get my very own Kindle! Thanks, parents-in-laws! What a lucky gal I am!
7. Laptop computers. Right now, I’m writing this blog entry in the back of my vehicle!
8. Caffeine, be it in the form of coffee, hot cocoa, Coca Cola Classic Zero, Diet Dr. Pepper, chocolate candy…
9. Writing buddies, including those at the Apex Literary Guild
10. Stephen King’s On Writing: one great read. Its title is self-explanatory.
11. The internet: for research, for education… not thankful for how easy it makes procrastinating writing!
12. Free editors/readers of draft manuscripts: My mom, and Naomi, to name two. I’m thankful for my husband’s editing, but lately he’s been a bit slack. (Step it up, sweetcakes!)
13. Always, my readers.

I think I could go on and on here, but with Thanksgiving just around the corner, I need to go cook something! If you hear sirens, they could very well be coming from emergency responders racing to my kitchen to extinguish the fumes! Watch out!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the nod. You make editing an easy task—even with a few colons or em dashes too many. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make getting edits an easy task. Happy turkey day!

    ReplyDelete