Monday, October 24, 2011

Making time to write, a.k.a. getting back on track


I've been a bad, bad writer lately. What’s the number one thing you want to do if you want to be a writer? Write, of course! And lately… lately, I haven’t been writing. It’s not that I haven’t thought about it. I just keep making excuses. At the end of the day, it's “I’m too tired,” or “I want to spend time with my husband.” Two hours and a couple episodes of Pawn Stars later, 0 pages have been written and it’s bedtime. During my son’s naptime it’s “I’m so tired I want to take a nap, too,” or “I’ve got some newspaper writing I need to attend to first.”

Well, to be a writer, you’ve got to write. And instead of sitting down and dedicating myself to it… I’ve been making pitiful excuses. I’m between projects, wrapping up the sequel to Storm Surge and getting started on a new novel. And working on a short story, too. (Is this another excuse I’m spinning?) So I’ve been planning and brainstorming and getting background character ideas circulating. And in terms of written pages? Um, not so much.

But every day is a new day, and every week is a new week. And so here I go again, making a resolution again, to – no matter how tired I am – to sit in front of that computer screen and put one word in front of the next! I’ll let you know how it goes…

No comments:

Post a Comment