Monday, September 5, 2011

Looking forward to the Writer's Police Academy


In a couple weeks, I’ll be at the Writer’s Police Academy! I am so excited! As described on its website, the academy “offers the most hands-on, interactive and educational experience writers can find to enhance their understanding of all aspects of law enforcement and forensics.”

When I first found out about the academy, I knew I wanted to attend. But then I saw the whopping registration fee (at least it was whopping to me). I thought I wouldn’t be able to afford it. Then Sisters in Crime offered a HUGE discount on the registration fee for members. I couldn’t believe my luck! In a heartbeat I signed up.

What looks to be the most interesting workshop is the one where we’ll investigate a crime scene. We’re instructed to bring appropriate rain gear and insect repellent, and we're warned: “be prepared for all the smells and insects associated with death.” Um, yipes!

In addition, there will be workshops where we can search for contraband inside actual jail cells, learn about alternate light sources used in crime scene investigations, find out how search and rescues and arson investigations are conducted, learn about bloodstain patterns and fingerprinting... And that’s just a sampling of the first day!

So now, instead of trying to figure out how I’ll afford the academy, I’m stuck with a new dilemma: which workshops to attend.

I’ll be sure to bring my camera… and blog about the academy afterward. I can’t wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment