Thursday, July 14, 2011

Young imagination

Perhaps it’s because I write fiction: I’m so interested in my children’s imaginations. Or maybe it’s just a mom thing. I enjoyed a great laugh recently while at the beach. My two-year-old stood on a dock and thunder from a distant storm sounded. The boy wasn’t frightened – oh no, not him. He decided to address the rumbling directly.

“Thunder, go away!” he said, and then he puffed out a breath as if he could blow away the storm itself.

How’s that for self-confidence? Or does he have a complex? Perhaps it’s not imagination that caused my son to speak to the storm, but what wild ideas his actions spawned in my own imagination! That’s one aspect of motherhood I immensely enjoy: continuously being surprised and inspired by what the kids think up next.

No comments:

Post a Comment