Monday, May 30, 2011

An unplanned vacation from writing!

On the beach with Mr. Fear-No-Waves

I’d planned on writing during my weeklong family vacation. And not just writing – blazing through the draft of my second novel in a flurry of editing. But nope; somehow, I only wrote two of the seven nights, and on those two nights, I refined and polished only one scene.

So what happened? I encountered a few difficulties. One was the layout of the rooms we rented. Snoring children occupied two of the bedrooms as my husband and I found they could not fall asleep while in the same room. The only room left remaining was the combined den/kitchen area, and no way was my husband going to click off the cable television (we aren’t subscribers at our home). Struggling to right a difficult scene in my draft simply did not rivet me the way the turmoil encountered on the Deadliest Catch did.

Ensuring that my boys don't poke anyone's eye out.
Another hurdle to writing: several fantastic books I brought along. Chic-lit/Thriller Juliet and the romance novel How to Marry a Rake by Deb Marlowe, a local author I just met, kept me turning pages not only when I should have been writing but also when I should have been applying sunscreen. Plus, after 13 hours of watching two boys, ensuring the fearless two-year-old wasn’t sucked into the ocean and following the five-year-old up the 30-odd steps to the top of the waterslide countless times every day, I was pooped!

Taking touristy photos instead of writing is fun.
But I’m back from vacation, and with a hunger. Today alone, I’ve worked through 20 pages of the draft, and I hope to keep up the trend… perhaps not 20 pages everyday, but a return to solid, routine writing hours that yield steady results!

In the meantime, my next vacation looms. Are you looking forward to a summer vacation? Care to share your destination and activity plans?

No comments:

Post a Comment