Thursday, March 17, 2011

No, I don't have cable. Yes, I am strange.

I don’t have cable television. Is that so strange? Sometimes, I feel like I’m an alien because of my lack of access (and my lack of desire to access) the latest popular television show. The recent antics of television stars come up frequently in conversations, and most often I stay silent, unable to contribute to the dialogue; almost invariably, I’ve not watched the show people are discussing. Just recently, I was caught in a conversation where I admitted my obliviousness and my lack of access to cable.

“What?” was the response. “You don’t have cable television? Not even a basic subscription? Why, I just don’t know what to say to you!”

I shrugged and sheepishly said I sometimes catch shows I really want to watch on the internet so the entertainment can take my mind of exercising on the elliptical trainer. While true, more often than not I’m reading while on the trainer. (Right now, a book of short mystery stories by North Carolina writers is waiting for me on the exercise machine, making sweat that much less dreadful. Thank you, Sarah Shaber!)

There just are not enough hours in the day to do what I want to be doing, let alone keep up with television shows. Between being a stay-at-home mother of two very young boys and doing what I need to do to remain in (relatively) good shape physically and spiritually, I’m writing freelance stories for the local paper, promoting Storm Surge (to be out in April, 2011), and writing the next novel in the series – I struggle to do all of it, some days! And then there are the books I want to read – a never ending stack of books (and I wouldn’t have that any other way). There’s my commercial-free entertainment!

That’s not to say I don’t watch the occasional (rented) movie or sometimes veg on the couch with whatever is on the air. Just the other night, my husband convinced me to watch an episode of Survivor, and I admit, the show was hilarious, and I enjoyed spending an hour next to my hubby, snacking and laughing with him. And, I do enjoy downtime when I can zone out with Navy CIS – that’s if I get back from my every-other-Tuesday-evening newspaper writing assignment in time. But for the most part, television cuts into my precious distraction-free writing time, and when I do watch it, I surface and cannot remember five minutes afterward what I just watched. So, mostly, I refuse to be sucked in and distracted.

Am I strange? Perhaps. But I’m used it. And I’m happy without cable. Plus, as an added bonus, not having cable gives me something to blog about.

No comments:

Post a Comment