Sunday, December 12, 2010

What a difference a year can make

Was it an epiphany? No, but my heart did skip a beat. A few weeks ago when I was blowing out my birthday candle (unlike my in-laws, my folks don’t insist on turning the cake into a delightful inferno by lighting a candle for every single year of age), I realized that this year I needed to make a different wish than the wish I wished for the last dozen or more years of my life.

For as long as I can remember, I’ve wanted to be a writer. A novelist. Though I’ve known it was possible, I’ve also realized saying that is like saying I want to be a rock star or an actor. And finally, this year, I signed a contract for publication of my first novel. While technically I’m waiting for that book to be in my hands before completely exhaling, at that birthday candle I did have to pause and think up another wish, and quick, before the wax dripped!

Currently, Storm Surge is in design, and is to be released in early 2011 by a small, new publisher, Peak City Publishing, which is based out of Apex, NC, of all places. While no national book tour is scheduled (ha), it is a beginning, and I have to keep reminding myself it is real. The book will be available in independent bookstores and on Amazon, and perhaps a few other places as well. If you would like me to email you when the book is released and available for purchase, please let me know at tamara.ward@rocketmail.com.

Merry Christmas, and may your wishes be granted, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment