Wednesday, November 10, 2010

One of my favorite novels

One of my favorite novels is When Crickets Cry by Charles Martin. It's a novel about a lot of things (I desperately hate trying to summarize a book, especially this one, in a few sentences) but centers on a girl with a hole in her heart and a man who might be able to fix it. The storyline unfolds perfectly and Martin seamlessly combines so many wonderful literary and Biblical quotes and elements into the novel. Simply said, the novel is indescribably wonderful.

The book is completely different from John Irving's A Prayer for Owen Meany, another of my favorites, but something about the Martin's Crickets reminds me of Irving's novel. Perhaps it's how close I'm drawn to the characters, some of whom in both works are singularly unique, or how the characters' lives seem epic, or just the beauty of reading a modern masterpiece. 

I've not read a novel in the four months since I finished Crickets that's affected me so much. If you haven't yet, please read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment