Wednesday, November 17, 2010

No fruitcake from me

Last week, I had the pleasure of attending a book signing for Margaret Maron's new book at Quail Ridge in Raleigh. What a fun event! The reading area was crammed full -- not a vacant seat in the house -- with fans of all demographics, men and women, young and old. The reading and signing were followed with coffee and fruitcake prepared by Maron herself... what a treat.

If you don't already know, Maron is a hugely successful local mystery writer whose books are fantastic reads and have won numerous awards. As a new writer, I look up to Maron. But as an awful cook, I know I won't even attempt to bring fruitcake along to my future book signings, Christmas-related or not. Please expect fun, fast-paced books from me, but don't get your hopes up that I'll be bringing tasty, complex, homemade concoctions to book signings (unless my mother-in-law, an accomplished southern cook, prepares it). If I can manage not to bake brownie batter from a box into concrete, or to actually cook the dough from a tube before eating it myself, or to figure out how to stop my biscuits from bouncing when accidentally dropped on the floor, I'll bring some to share, however!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tamara! I didnt' realize you were a writer, much less having a book coming out! Congrats! I can't wait to read it!

    Christy Evers

    ReplyDelete