Sunday, October 17, 2010

River house book exchange

My favorite place to find a good read is at a river house in my parent's neighborhood. The small house, which only has one room if you don't count the bathrooms or the screened back porch, is usually deserted. It sits along a river near the Intracoastal Waterway on two sides and a small neighborhood marina at another side. The house is dark with high windows letting in sunbeams and smells wonderfully of wood. You walk in and see a stone fireplace and couch, and both side walls are lined with bookshelves filled with books neighbors have left for others to enjoy and return.

I always make a point to visit the river house when I visit my parents. The book selection is so terrifically eclectic, my heart leaps when I find a book I want to read... and usually I find many more than one. Okay, always I find many more than one. Finding books there is like going on a treasure hunt and always striking gold. Everything from mysteries to romances, thrillers to Southern lit, nonfiction and magazines and sci-fi and fantasy, even religious reads and dog care manuals can be found! Of course, I donate books to the river house, also, and part of the joy of leaving books in that magical room is knowing they will find their ways into the hands and hearts of someone who loves them as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment