Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Eew-ey Gooey Stew-ey: trashed

Because of protests, lengthy grumblings, and a general refusal to eat the dish, I threw out my recipe for eew-ey gooey stew-ey. What is it? Slow-cooked stewed tomatoes and tomato paste with brown sugar and mushrooms, and diced pork. Mmmm! I love it. I've made it a handful of times. But, no matter how many times I make it, or how much I enjoy it, the males at my dinner table refuse to eat it. Hence, the protests and grumblings. Hence, the empty tummies. Hence, the recipe in the trashcan.

Why is this post on the Writing and reading blog, you ask? Because it serves as an analogy. No matter how much I may like something, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. That something could be a recipe... or it could be a book premise or chapter or character. But if it ain't working, and it ain't working, and no amount of rehashing it is making it work, perhaps I should (finally) stop trying to force it to work and cook another recipe. Despite how much eew-ey gooey stew-ey delights me, personally.

No comments:

Post a Comment